Very often, people – especially if they don’t have kids of their own – are apprehensive about dating single parents. Dating a parent, by all outward appearances, looks like a situation that is automatically more complicated, which means more likely for it to not work out, and when it inevitably doesn’t work out, there are potentially a greater number of people involved who could get hurt. Harsh but true.
Dating a single parent is can be the greatest thing ever, and I feel bad that so many of you might be missing out. I know you’re inclined not to believe me right now. Here are 10 good reasons why… Bam!
1) Birth control: They take it seriously, they understand that having a child is a Huge responsibility.
Guess who never forgets to use condoms?
2) They’re less likely to rush into things; they take the time to get to know you before introducing you to his kids.
By taking your time to get to know him, you will be creating this a satisfying respect and likeness first. A combination of “can’t get enough of each other” and “not having infinite time to spend together” equals “always wanting more”. Which is hot and romantic.
3) Their bags, home and car are like survival kits– everything except the kitchen seat.
There is nothing he doesn’t have, he comes first aid ready.
4) They take there time and have been known to be really good in the bed
You’re just infinitely more aware of yourself, and far less self-conscious. There is no way, no matter the specifics of how you like to get down, that that doesn’t result in some next-level sex action.
5) They know what makes a relationship work and they are not afraid to go for it
Just having a child at all teaches you, “holy crap, everything about human connections and interactions and how to be healthy, generous but also self-preserving, committed and flexible”.
6) They have excellent boundaries and respect your boundaries
Establishing good boundaries with others and your kids can be tricky, although single dads seem to love being cautious with your time and feelings.
7) Contrary to myths, single dads are not shopping for a new mom for their kids
Maybe we will fall gloriously in love, and you will become part of my family, and end up having a meaningful relationship with his child, and even become friends with his ex wife and we’ll all have this big modern family with lots of people engaging in highly evolved relationships and enjoying all the growth and joy that comes from that.
8) They understand selflessness and sharing
I mean, that doesn’t mean every single parent you date is going to be selfless with you, but chances are, they are at least capable of it.
9) They’re more aware of what they want and who they want to be
Single parents tend to be really good at knowing what they want, but not being too stubbornly attached to getting exactly that.
10) They have more structure and empathy
Single Dads are on a schedule and they have to deal with a lot more bumps, bruises and hiccups.
So next time a single Dad asks you out make sure you celebrate his very dateable qualities.
To all the Dad! Happy Fathers Day!
Always in love with love,
Experienced Matchmaker for 18 years